Wednesday, February 15, 2012

How do you determine the flex on a golf club shaft?

I have a Callaway Steelhead X-14 Pro Series SW (56潞) with a TT shaft. On the upper part of the shaft there is a sticker that says Steelhead Constant Weight Callaway Golf and then towards the bottom the shaft has the TT logo followed by True Temper Finest Quality. I am looking to pick up another Steelhead X-14 Pro Series wedge (60潞) from callaway preowned but I am not sure whether I should get a regular or stiff flex. The SW has kept its place in my bag b/c I hit it great and when I need to get up and down for par or bogey it never lets me down. I want to get the 60潞 with the same flex but I am unsure of the flex of my SW. PLEASE HELP!How do you determine the flex on a golf club shaft?Hello BigD



I wouldnt be concerned about the flex of the shaft with the wedges. One never takes a big enought swing to create the force needed to flex them.



With that said the only difference flex could make with wedges is a phycological one.



I say get the 60 degree wedge you want and dont worry about any flex.



Now when it comes to your driver and fairway woods you need to be concerned with flex.



Leon|||Flex is determined by the number of cycles per minute the shaft undergoes when it is struck (like a tuning fork), the more cycles, the stiffer the shaft, as well as a combination of bend point (the higher/closer to your hands the lower the ball will fly) and weight.



Look for a shaft with similar weight, bend point and CPM to your current shaft, because no two manufacturer's specs are the same. One man's R is another man's S.How do you determine the flex on a golf club shaft?flex on wedges generally are stiff, to extra stiff as you do not need distance with them, just accuracy. My wedges shaft are true temper and it said on the shaft "wedge".

As said above, the flex isn't the thing for wedge, you need it stiff and generally they are heavy as well. My spin milled titleist 56 and 60 degree are D5 , stiff. They work wonders.|||All of these people are overlooking the two obvious answers. First, ask a pro, not us. Second the steel shafts in Callaway clubs are usually what they call opti-flex, or something like that. What it means is that there is no regular, stiff, x-stiff etc. In general Callaway only offers one flex of steel shaft. Once again, consult a pro to be certain.How do you determine the flex on a golf club shaft?hmm... i have another approach to this.

i remember arnold palmer said that you should never have stiffer flex shaft on your wedges then your irons. he was trying to say that you hardly full swing your wedges. so a weaker flex will give you more feel and touch... he had ladies flex on his wedges durring his prime if i remember correctly

and i believe a wedge flex is slightly weaker than stiff flex... NO?!!

No comments:

Post a Comment